Between now and June 5, we’re likely to see images and rumours spread, but here are some thoughts just based on observing Apple’s behaviour so far:
- The device would not replace the iPhone/iPad and Siri wouldn’t likely work without these present. Apple’s thinking: Why would anyone not have their iPhone nearby them? Maybe it will allow for Macbooks to also connect but probably not.
- The device will likely connect via BT and use a local Siri wake word to call the iPhone/iPad and then interact through the iOS device’s Siri functionality.
- Apple Music will be a key part of this device. It *might* function for music without an iPhone present.
- The device will have far field microphones.
- There may be some other presence sensors on board. Maybe it’ll also be used to communicate to home automation devices.
- It could be a bridge for HomeKit enabled devices.
We’ll see if any of this is right in 30 days.