There are some questions that I tend to ask the Echo that could be answered without me needing to ask — if there were a display:
- What’s the time?
- What’s the weather?
- How long is the commute to work?
- What’s next on my calendar?
- How many days until [big event]?
If someone had an afternoon and some technical know-how, they could build such a display using a raspberryPi, low cost monitor, and a service like yodeck.
If a display is to be used in the home, some features that could be useful are:
- Blue light filter for night
- Automatic dimming at night
- Confirmation of wake up
The Echo Show is due to ship later this month, so it’ll be interesting to see if the information that is available at a glance will be customizable.